Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Join the Fredericksburg VA Modern Quilt Guild!

Original Post by Shelley Brooks on January 8, 2013

If you're interested in quilting - this may be the place for you.  There has been an emerging and exciting take on traditional quilting called "Modern Quilting".  While rooted in the traditional styles and designs, modern quilting has gained wide popularity through its fresh re-imagined approach. 

A few years ago, I noticed a lot of quilting blogs popping up.   I had mentioned to my own bevy of quilting fanatics that it seemed to me this new direction (which I called New Age Amish....but that never seemed to catch on) was really interesting and I loved the use of solid fabrics.  In fact, after making a few of these modern amish-style quilts, I discovered that I couldn't WAIT to throw my newly quilted quilt into the dryer.  I longed for that crinkly look.  Which is reminiscent of old quilts yet the design didn't seem old at all.

Flash forward to now and I know what I was seeing.  The birth of the Modern Quilting movement.  And this new movement included technology...  There are TONS of blogs out there - filled with photos and tutorials about quilting, design, methods, etc.  Flickr provides a plethora of photos to provide infinite inspiration.  And while all of this seems so new.... you still see four patches, monkey wrench, log cabin blocks -granted - they may have a new twist to them.... but through the twist you find the familiar old blocks that have been used since quilting started. 

Something old is new again! 

So don't be afraid if all you've ever done is traditional quilting.  Come see what's new.  And don't be shy if you've never quilted before - maybe this is how you break into it!  Be inspired - be excited.  Enjoy the company of people who love the same thing as you do...

You can join the group here:


Open to the public -Flickr: 

Open to prospective and members - Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/FredericksburgModernQuiltGuild/

No comments:

Post a Comment